Fire fuels in focus
April 2016's edition of Hazard News features:
- News - science on fuels, resilient cities & fire modelling
- Hazard Note - how did the community cope during the Sampson Flat fire?
- Research - non-traditional volunteering & case studies on mitigation
- Conferences - our Research Advisory Forum is on soon
- Blogs - from the CEO, an end-user, researchers & PhD students
- New online - new reports & journal papers
We have entered the final year of the ‘Out of Uniform’ project and our focus now shifts to considering the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and challenges of different approaches for engaging with non-traditional volunteers.
I recently took the plunge for the annual Port to Pub open ocean swim in WA, and I think I can now claim the unique distinction that I have first-hand experience of both a seismic tsunami and a meteotsunami. My group at UWA was predicting the currents for the race, and we predicted the occurrence of the meteotsunami.
In 2015 I interviewed emergency management professionals from across the country about how public communication and mapping practices through various technologies are impacting the sector.