Prof David Pannell, University of Western Australia, email@example.com
Emergency services organisations receive a certain budget allocation, which typically is sufficient to deal with the community’s demand for emergency services in a typical year. However, there are years when emergencies are unusually numerous or serious, such that this budget falls well short of requirements. When weighing up these different types of years when setting an overall budget, how should governments strike a balance?
In summary, the analysis will involve:
- Estimating the probability distribution of budget demands for emergency services over time. (Quantifying the frequencies of different levels of demand for emergency services.)
- Identifying the benefits of providing different types of emergency services, and the losses incurred if they are not provided. (Quantifying the social costs that arise from being under-resourced in years of peak demand.)
- Comparing overall long-term costs and benefits of different resource levels, weighted by frequencies of the year-types.
The study will require detailed modelling of an emergency services organisation and its work, using a Victoria based case study.
Linked CRC projects
Send an enquiry
Postgraduate Scholarships Application Process
Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC postgraduate scholarships are available for students pursuing research higher degrees in the bushfire research fields, in line with Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC projects.
Both Full and Top Up scholarships and project support funding are available for outstanding students, with preference given to the provision of top up scholarships.
Current funding amounts are:
- Full Scholarships of up to $28,000 per annum for three and a half years.
- Top Up scholarships of $10,000 per annum for three and a half years to holders of Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA) and University Research Scholarships.
Bushfire & Natural Hazard CRC Scholarship Application Kit
You are welcome to submit enquiries using the form on this page. However, you must complete this form to make an application.